Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Surgery scheduled...

I get to post today. We set the date for Chandy's surgery and I think it just got more real for Chandy. She's going to rest for a bit and I told her I'd take care of this.

So, we met with Dr.'s Rasmussen (main surgeon) and Ferguson (reconstructive surgeon) today to figure out exactly where we go from here.

Dr. Rasmussen talked with us about the results of the MRI. He said it did show that the area affected by the cancer is a little larger than what the mammogram showed but not extensively. He has recommended that Chandy have a mastectomy on her right breast. We still haven't received the results of Chandy's gene test but Chandy has decided that she's going to have a bi-lateral modified radical mastectomy. Sounds scarey. This means, of course, that she's going to lose both breasts. With her young age and her family history, we think this is the safest course. You can imagine that though she's not excited about the thought of that, she has the courage to do what is necessary.

The surgery is scheduled for Wednesday November 12th.

While Chandy is in surgery they will remove one group of lymph nodes and test them and if there aren't cancer cells present then they will stop there. If the cells are present then they'll take the others. The first steps of the reconstruction will also begin in the same surgery.

As we thought before, part of her treatment is going to involve chemotherapy, radiation and hormone therapy.

We know it's going to be tough going for awhile. I'm still thankful for having a tough wife with the support system around her that she has.

The meetings yesterday were fantastic! What a great experience for her. As you can see in her last post, it was a wonderful time for her. She feels your prayers, love and support. Please continue....as if I have to ask.

Gary

5 comments:

RaeMi said...

Michelle has a plan and I'm sending an e-mail to everyone and please encourage others to foreward it...on Wednesday, November 12, we will all wear PINK!! Its a good cause even if we go shopping!! We so enjoyed being with you all Sunday and feeling of your strong spirit. Thanks for sharing your strength, love to all, Aunt RaeMi

Bryan & Sarah said...

I like the pink idea Raemi!!! Chandy you can do this! I know you can, you are my older and SOOOO much tougher sis and I know you can conquer this beast! ((((((HUGS))))))

Sarah

kristen said...

Chandy,
I am so sorry!!! I have just spent the last hour or so reading from start to finish. You have always been so amazing and strong is an understatment. We are keeping you and Gary and the boys in our prayers. If you have a min. you can check out my m-in-laws blog on her breast cancer journey. She has her 6th (and final) chemo next monday. thedominantsearegene.blogspot.com
Much love,
Kristen

Lauren said...

I love the pink idea too, count me in! I wish we could have been with you on Sunday but will keep checking your blog for updates and will surely keep you all in our prayers. Love you and keep fighing! We are behind you!

Love, Lauren and family!

Ivy Skinner said...

Chandy,
My prayers and thoughts are with you...coming all the way from Florida where we're living right now. I've been thinking of you since I heard from Angie what you are going through. Though I couldn't be there Sunday with you, I prayed and fasted along with all of you.
Love,
Ivy