Monday, November 3, 2008

Pink Rules the Day!

I hope that I can put words to the many emotions I am feeling about yesterday. To start the day off all of my boys, including G, wore pink ties and I wore a pink sweater. It is my new color! Retail therapy has been very very good for me. A lot of my extended family also wore pink. As people began arriving to church I was so surprised by how many came in my behalf. More and even more came. I am just this simple everyday girl who has been faced with this challenge and I am completely taken back by the huge outpouring of love and support. Thank you to each of you who attended either meeting. I was in so much need of moral boosting and I cannot tell you what Sunday has done for me.

As the meeting began our sweet Bishop spoke about his daughter helping out a family in need. And I am reminded again that service is not only important to the receiver but also to the giver. Service can boost and cheer up any one's day. I need to continue to serve even though so many are now helping me.

G was the next one up and I knew the man loved me but to see him up there talk about the depth of his love had me beaming inside and out. And then he tells everyone how he married me for my looks and me being nice and loving and all that was just a bonus, yea I was a little embarrassed by that. But seriously I never imagined when we married 16 years ago that our love could grow so deep so passionately. He is an awesome father and I love to watch him talk about having all boys and the fun it is to play sports with them. But the most important thing he does with the boys is teach them about the gospel and their priesthood responsibilities. He comforts me when it is late at night and I tell him about all my worries and fears. He appreciates all the help from everyone and can see how it uplifts me and our entire family. I am grateful that he honors his priesthood and at anytime he can use that priesthood to comfort me.

Then it was my mom who spoke. She is the spiritual one. I don't think I will ever be as intune to the spirit as she is. This is a little off the subject but I want all of you to see just how good she is at really listening to the still small voice.

When Matty had his accident when he was 16 months old, we had to go up to Primary Children's Hospital. They needed to operate to remove the pen that was embedded in the side of his head. So the doctor's tell you all the good, bad and ugly things that can go wrong in surgery and then they took Matt off to operate. I had a mild freak out and so they put us in our own little waiting room. While we were waiting my mom heard the words "All is Well, All is Well." She knew immediately that everything was going to be ok with Matt. Even after the surgery when had a fever she still held on to those words, All is well. And now looking back of course she was right. That is the kind of mom I have! Isn't she great?
She spoke of her love for each of us and loves being surrounded by all of her children and grandchildren. Which is a good thing because we all hang out at their house. Even the teenage grandkids think grandma and grandpa's house is a cool hang out!

My dear and sweet friends Cami and Emily both bore their testimonies as well. I am so glad to have the opportunity to work with such fine genuine ladies. My love and friendship for both of them is deep and to the core. I will always be grateful that they both were there to help me on the day I was told I had cancer. To have friends there and ready to pick you up is such a comfort and I hope that someday I can repay the debt.

Gary's brother Keith and twin sister Gina spoke also. I love hearing his family talk about G. There is that special bond between siblings and I can see the love that they have for each other and for our entire family. I know that at any time I can call on them to help me and they would do it. And everyone let G know that his twin sister is the better looking one!

A member of our ward spoke about challenges and trials and that while we are dealing with them it can be difficult, but there is always something to learn from them. I have already learned that trails bring you together. Just in our little family the boys are helping out more around the house without complaint and trying to get along. I have also learned compassion. We don't usually say I love you to people outside of your family. But in the last 10 days many many people have told me that they love me and my family. When you face a crisis such as ours, compassion comes out in everyone. You don't hold back your feelings and because of those feelings I have the strength to face all of my fears.

My sweet son Brett was so brave and stood up there as well. He started out saying, "What a month! My science grade goes from an F up to a B, my football team makes it to the championship game and my mom gets breast cancer." For a 13 year old young man to speak straight from the heart like that had everyone in the congregation weeping. It was so hard for him to control his tears and at one point I thought he was going to just walk away because he was crying so hard. Thankfully he got control of his emotions and was able to continue sharing his testimony. The strength of his words affected us all and for the rest of my life I will never...never forget his words!

The last one to share his testimony is one of the boys in primary. Now this little one has a hard and rough outside. Sometimes he doesn't like to participate in primary and can be a little disruptive. I have spoke to his parents about how to help him feel more comfortable in primary and they told me that if you just love him he will do better, he has a big huge heart. I made it a point to always talk to him every week and let him know that my eye was on him. Some weeks were good and some not, but I really liked him and he is such a fun kid to be around. My little Matt likes him as well and looks up to him. He has been in our ward for a little over a year and I have seen a real change in him. He is very smart and loves a good challenge. I would always try to challenge him in primary and he would always soar. Well on Halloween he came to our house and as soon as I saw his sweet face I knew he heard the news about my cancer. He had this look on his face that he was worried about me. I was so touched that he would come over, on Halloween, to check on me. I instantly smiled and we had a good chat.

For him to stand up there Sunday and share his feelings about me is something that I will hold near to my heart forever. When I am having a bad day or not feeling well I will look back on this memory and it will pull me up. After the meeting I gave him a hug and kiss and told him that one little act he did will help me through those dark days I have ahead. And when I saw his parents after church I couldn't even put words together to tell them how I felt. When you serve in the church you hope to make a difference and at times you wonder if you really are. And yesterday was a pay day for me. He has grown by leaps and bounds and I will remember that moment and know that you can really make a difference if you are willing to do the Lord's work.

The remainder of church was wonderful and I think our darling primary children are ready for the sacrament program next week. We were going to meet again at the church at 5:00 to break our fast. My family went over to my parents house to help prepare food for everyone to eat after that meeting. Why oh why did we cook and prepare food while we were fasting? At one point some of my siblings went to play a game because the smell of the food was getting to us all. But everyone of us made it.

The 5:00 meeting was short and sweet. We sang "Nearer My God to Thee" and thank you sissy for leading the music even though you have never done it before.
The Bishop told everyone what was next for me and then my dad said the prayer to break the fast. What a fantastic prayer. He has such a way to express his words and I felt a calm come over me as he prayed. The chapel was completely full and to see that many people there again truly overwhelmed me. Afterwards my neighbor came over with her daughter who is in primary and told me that they always give their children a choice if they want to fast the whole day or not, because it is hard for them to go all day. Well this precious little girl for the first time in her life fasted the entire day and did it for me. I wept with her and gave her a gianormous hug. Again a pay day for me.

Yipee! To my parents house to eat we went. Of course all of the food was delicious. Both of my parents are outstanding cooks. It was also nice to visit with so many friends and family.

Wow what a day! It is one that I will never forget and I know that I have grown from experiencing this day with so many friends and family members.

Next up doctor's appointment Tuesday, we will let you know what happens.

Thanks to all of you...hugs and kisses all around!
Chandy

5 comments:

Allene Lemons said...

Chandy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you today.
Allene Lemons

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Both Jeff and I were so overcome with the spirit that day. We felt blessed to be able to be apart of it. That is a day we will never forget! Best of luck today! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Spendlove said...

Thanks sis for the retail therapy. Eventually I will find pink! (maybe with a little yellow). Saturday and Sunday brought about a lot of peace and comfort. Thank you so much for sharing such sweet experiences. They will always be treasured. My thoughts and prayers are with you today, and forever. Keep up the fight!
All my love!

Tralar said...

Thanks for letting us be a part of this uplifting fast. You have an inner strength that we can tell will pull you through all of this. Gary and Brett's words were very touching. We will contimue as a family to pray for you all. Take care and hope everything goes well today!

Bryan & Sarah said...

Sis you nailed every emotion and every feeling I think we all had on the head! Both Bryan and I talked about how strong we felt the spirit and what a comfort it was! You and your boys are as always in our thoughts and prayers!