Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Meeting with the Surgeon

My turn to post. Things are still a little fresh for Chandy and I thought I'd let her relax and I'd take care of this tonight.

Chandy and I went to meet with Dr. Rasmussen @ the new IMC in Murray. He was excellent and was real helpful with explaining every stupid question I had and presenting it in a way that even a dumb contractor could understand.

Unfortunately the news isn't what we wanted to hear.

It seems that though the three lumps are relatively small the area affected pretty well covers the right side of Chandy's right breast and the option of a lumpectomy and some radiation isn't the answer.

Chandy is going to have an MRI on Thursday morning. She also had her blood drawn so they could test her to see if she has the "breast cancer gene". Her young age and family history make them suspect that she might. Her surgery will be scheduled shortly after we get the results of these tests. It looks like it may be sometime mid to late next week.

As you can imagine, the thought of Chandy losing either one (if the gene test is negative) or both (if it's positive) of her breasts is not something she was hoping for. It also looks like in either case she'll need to experience the joy of chemotherapy and radiation.

I've keep reminding her that it was her cute bum that drew me to her in the first place anyways.

I am so thankful for all of you! Even this early in the process I can see her own strength and the strength she receives from Heavenly Father because of His love for her and because of your faith, love and prayers lifting her up when she's down.

It seems as if she keeps facing these waves that hit her and almost knock her down and then she picks herself up by her own strength and the strength she receives from all of you just in time for another wave to hit. I told her after our appointment today that I can't wait for the next few weeks/months or whatever it's going to be to pass so that when we go to see the doctor we walk out of there with good news and feeling better...you watch, it's going to happen and I can't wait.

I talked with our Bishop tonight who has been absolutely wonderful and we are going to dedicate our ward fast this Sunday to Chandy. You are welcome and encouraged to come! I would love to see a huge turnout for her. Family and friends alike. I think it would be a great lift for her and the boys. Our sacrament meeting is at 9 am and the address of our chapel is 11199 South Wasatch Blvd in Sandy. Everybody will be showing up after they've started their fast and then we will meet together again that night to close the fast. I'll have to get back to you on the time that night when we'll meet. Maybe if you can't make one meeting you could make the other.

I need to mention again that the outpouring of support has been incredible. I may need to add a wing to the house so I have a place to put the flowers and I may need an additional fridge to have a place to put the food.

Thanks again. Please keep praying for my wife and my boys.

Gary

6 comments:

Spendlove said...

You, Chandy, and the boys are in our thoughts and prayers. We will be there every step of the way.
I can't tell you how much I admire the strength and courage you have. Your love for one another is a priceless creation.

Horman Fam said...

Hey Chandy, I can't put into words the way I feel right now. I just finished reading your blog and am so overwhelmed with emotion. It is sad that we wait for times like this to put a voice to the feelings we have for those we love. You, Gary and the boys mean more to me than I could ever put into words. I wish so bad I could take this trial away from your sweet family, But since I can't please always remember how much Billy myself and our boys love you. You are amazing and such a great example to all of us. love you tons Suzy

mascherinomomma said...

Dear Gary, Chandy, and boys,
We Love You All, and just want to let you know that we are here for you 100%.
Please call on us to help out in someway, for anything.
I hope that this whole experience is one that you look back on years from now as your families "Dell Taco" time and that as painfull as it is at the time you come out of it stronger and better than ever.
Love,
Les Mascherino & Family

Rosy said...

We love you Bronsons! Gary, your anniversary comments were so tender. However, you do measure up and it is obvious you are a "couple meant to be!"

You are all in our prayers ALL the time. Thank you for sharing about telling your boys and the sweet family prayer after. We love you! I want to be a "driver" for you. Please let me help. Love, Rosy, Mike and Donna

Jolene DeWaal said...

Dear Neighbors!
We have been praying for you, Chandy & your sweet family. You will come thru this - you're a trooper & the Lord needs you!

I had my own 'scare' just a year ago. The knowledge of good friends who have experienced this devastating disease & pulled thru it - gave me a great deal of peace. (Luckily the test was benign) Sorry this will be so hard. You will continue to be in our prayers - there will be miracles all around you so look for them! Thanks for posting this blog & giving us the opportunity to fast & pray in your behalf.

Looking forward to Sunday & to helping with a meal, a carpool - we want to help.

Love you guys! Hang in there! Love, The DeWaal's

Anonymous said...

chandy, gary, and the boys
Dirt and I, along with everyone else, love love love you guys so much. My heart aches for each of you. Gary and Chandy...you two are such an example to me of what love, faith, and courage can carry you through. Im so proud of you guys. We are all stronger and better people because of YOUR SWEET FAMILY. I love you all forever and ever. There is a light at the end of this. I know it will all be ok.=)
xoxoxox
Hill