Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Next Step Begins!

My appointment with Dr. Nibley was pretty straightforward. We got the results back from the Oncotype DX test. In Mid-December the general pathology report said that there was a 10% chance of recurrence with my cancer. The Onco test takes my tumor slides and tests them against 21 genes from me, to see what the cancer will do to me. Well that 10% changed to 18%. Crap! Now there is no questions, I will go through the chemo, radiation and hormone therapy.

So I will start chemotherapy next Tuesday at 11:30. It will take about 3 to 3 1/2 hours each dose and I will have 4 doses. They will be 3 weeks apart, so about 12 weeks to get through chemo. G and I took a chemo class today that walked us through step by step what will happen at each chemo dose.

First I get my vitals and blood drawn. They need to make sure my white and red blood cells are high enough to administer the drugs. Once that comes back they order the chemo drugs. While they are waiting for the lab techs to get the drugs ready, they start the IV and give me an anti nausea drug. This takes about 20 minutes to push through the IV. Once that's done, I get Cytoxan and it takes 30-60 minutes. After that it's Taxotere this too takes 30-60 minutes. When I am done I will be really tired and probably sleep most of the day. The nausea doesn't come until the day after. I am hoping that by Friday I am up and about.

The part the doctor's worry about are low blood cell counts and fever. The part I worry about is the nausea and hair loss. I will lose my hair about 2 weeks after the first dose. So I figure I have 3 weeks left with my hair. It should start to grow back about 6 weeks after the chemo ends. The first 6 months it grows back it can be either really fine or really curly. After that it should start to grow back like my normal hair, except sometimes it can grow back a different color. That of course is what I worry about, but that is a while off so I am not going to think about it.

Tomorrow I am going wig shopping with my sisters and I am actually excited to get things lined up and ready so I don't have to worry about it when my hair does fall out. I also think that I am going to have a "Shaving Party" when my hair starts to fall out. I am hoping that my boys will shave their heads with me for moral support. NO! I don't want any other woman to shave their head to support me! My sister's were thinking of shaving their heads and I told them that I didn't want one other woman to experience what I am going to go through. You can bring me goodies and diet coke for moral support.

I will post more in the next day or two! I am off to ge see a late night chick flick with my sissy's and friends.

Hugs and kisses all around
Chandy

8 comments:

mascherinomomma said...

But, you can't stop me if I just show up bald! Tomorrow will be fun, like playing dress-up again. Which I thought of a little bit of tonight when we watched the movie. Thanks for being a great sis!

The Bach 10 said...

Have fun hair shopping!!

Bryan & Sarah said...

Today was a blast and I am so glad we were all able to go it was so much fun! The wigs you got are so cute! Luvs ya

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing...you're a woman and it won't matter WHAT color your hair comes back in. That's why Heavenly Father invented dye. :) I have NO IDEA what color my hair is :)

Love ya,

Loir

Anonymous said...

Apparently I don't know how to spell my name. I'm sick and it's late. Is that sufficent??

LORI

nsudburyfam said...

Chandy,
I just wanted to let you know of a website I found when Kaidan lost her hair.

www.4women.com

It's an alternative to wigs. They are very comfortable and I just thought you might be interested. They would even be nice for when you are in getting your treatments or lounging around home when you don't want to wear a wig. Kaidan wore them a lot in the beginning.

Good luck with everything. We wish you the best!

Mystee Sudbury
www.carepages.com/carepages/kaidabug

kristen said...

Chandy,
I'd love to see what you got! Did you and your sisters get pictures at the wig shop? If so you must share!! I bet you guys had a blast! When Shirlene got her wig, we made it a girls day too. I think we had way too much fun trying them on and have some crazy pictures of all of us in different kinds of wigs. I'll be thinking about you Tues. I know you'll do great!!
xoxo
Kristen

Spendlove said...

Your one hot lady! Shopping was a blast, and you looked great in all. Even the blonde, although you did look about 15 years old. The wigs you got are beautiful, just as you. Keep the strength. Together we can do hard things. All my love!