Yes I have had some nasty side effects since my drains have come out. On Friday I noticed a lump in my right arm pit, where the lymph nodes were removed. I am just starting to get feeling back so I didn't know if it was a new lump or if it has been there since surgery. By Sunday it was really starting to hurt and I could hardly move my arm. G called Dr. Rasmussen's office Monday and we saw him yesterday at 11:00.
After he checked it, he asked if it hurt bad enough to stick a needle in there to see what it was. I am definitely no fan of needles, but I needed the pain to be gone so I told him to go ahead and stick me! Out came a full syringe of fluid! Yuck! After he pulled the needle out there was still some fluid leaking from my arm pit and it was dripping down my side. I was freaking out saying that this is such a pain in my butt to deal with this. Dr. R said "Um, no this would be a pain in the pit, Chandy!" Ok I had to laugh he was trying to lighten the moment and I was glad to see that doctor's can be funny too! He told me to watch it and make sure it didn't get any worse and if there was any swelling by the alloderm to call Dr. Ferguson. Dr. R didn't want to stick any needles close to where the tissue expander is.
I came home and took a nap and by 4:00 it felt much worse and the swelling was all back and even a little more. So I started getting worried so we called the Dr.'s office and they told G the doctor could see me on Friday. Friday! No not quick enough, so G talked to the nurse and explained to her what was going on and she told us to come in today at 8:30 when their offices open.
Dr. Ferguson saw me this morning and he was relieved to see that it wasn't too bad. After he talked to his nurse last night he thought it was going to be much worse than what it was. He said that we could try to get more fluid out but the swelling wasn't close to the alloderm and my body should be able to absorb it. So he stuck me as well. Like 6 or 7 times! He couldn't get much fluid out and he was digging deep. The lump in my armpit he called a capsule of fluid and that is why it won't go away after they drain the fluid out. Over time my body should absorb it and if not they will operate to remove it. He told me to watch for the signs of infection by the alloderm, red or hot skin, fever and swelling. He packed my bra full of gauze pads to keep compression on the area and I teased him saying, "Well I came in here with 2 and now I am leaving with 3!" I felt like I had 3 breasts because my bra was totally stuffed. I remember stuffing my bra when I was younger and now I have a doctor doing it for me. A little strange but we all had a good laugh. Thankfully it turned out to be no big deal.
I have been pretty sore throughout the afternoon, but my spirits are in a much happier place today. Last night was rough, my mind of course would go to the worst place possible thinking I had an infection and they were going to have to start the reconstruction process all over. So the day has ended on a good note.
Countless thanks to each of you who have continued to help my family during this. Especially my sweet husband. He has been doing the job of 2 the past couple of weeks and I know that it has been physically draining on him. Yet he still manages to attend every single doctor's appointment with me and holds my hand when I am scared. Thank you from the bottom of my heart babe!
My boys have also been troopers through this ordeal. They have all taken turns with the daily chores and I don't even hear complaints about it. Even Matt asks what he needs to do for me. When he wants a hug he will give me my bunny stuffed animal so I can hold it. He says that way he can hug me and it won't hurt my cancer! He also asks everyday who he is going to play with. He calls his grandma Jackie and asks. "Grandma, what are we going to do today?"
Next Wednesday I meet with Dr. Nibley the oncologist and we will make plans for the chemo therapy.
Hugs and kisses all around!
Chandy
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Sis!
Hang in there! The now extremely famous line, "And this is shall pass.." I know you can do this. It was fun to be with you last night. Little Matt has become even more attentive to you. It was so sweet to watch him open the door for you. You have an amazing family sis. All my love!
Chandy,
My boss just finished her radiation treatments and has quite a bit of good advice that she had to learn on her own. If you are interested as you get closer to radiation I can hook her up with you! Hang in there! love you, Kellie
Post a Comment